Understanding the size of the fish tank will help in planning many things before purchasing the fish tank. In this blog “ how big is a 10 gallon fish tank” we will help you understand the complete details of the fish tank.
How big is a 10 gallon fish tank
The 10 gallon fish tank comes under the category “SMALL-SIZED AQUARIUMS”.
The standard 10 gallon tank comes with the following dimensions.
|Fish Tank Size||L x W x H (Inches)||L x W x H |
|L x W x H |
|10 gallon||20″ x 10″ x 12″||1.7′ x 0.8′ x 1′||50.8 x 25.4 x 30.5|
How to understand how big is a 10 gallon fish tank
To know how big is a 10 gallon tank, we need to compare this tank with something which is familiar and easy to understand.
Referring to this picture a person of 6 feet in height is standing near 10 gallon fish tank placed on a 30” height table.
How much 10 gallon fish tank weighs
10 gallons fish tank is considered a small tank and the weight of this tank is not so much. The weight of the fish tank can be categorized into 2 parts one is empty weight and the other is filled weight.
The empty weight of 10 gallon fish tank
The empty weight of the fish tank includes the weight of the glass and other structures.
There is another weight in the fish tank due to the weight of plants and gravel in the tank. So the weight of 10 gallon fish tank is as under:
|Fish Tank Size||Empty Weight (lbs)||Empty Weight (kg)||Weight of plant & gravels (lbs)||Weight of plant & gravels (kg)|
Filled weight of 10 gallon fish tank
There are two types of filling in the fish tank one is fresh water and the other is salt water. The weight of freshwater is less than the weight of salt water. A gallon of fresh water weight around 8.3454 pounds and the specific gravity of water is considered as 1.000 and when there is salt water then the specific gravity will be equal to 1.025 so a gallon of salt water will weigh 8.3454 X 1.025 pounds or 8.554 pounds.
The total weight of the fish tank is the weight of the glass + the weight of the gravels and plants we keep inside the fish tank and the water which we will in the tank.
So filled weight of 10 gallon fish tank is as under
|Fish Tank Size||Total filled Weight with fresh water (lbs)||Total filled Weight with fresh water (Kg)||Total filled Weight with salt water (lbs)||Total filled Weight with salt water (Kg)|
How many fish you can put in a 10 gallon tank
The basic rule for keeping fish is one fish of size 1 inch per gallon of fish tank size. The number of fish can be understood is as under
|Fish Tank Size||Fish Size 1″||Fish Size 1.5″||Fish Size 2″|
|10 gallon||3-4 fish (Max 5)||Max 7||Max 5|
How often to change the water in a 10 gallon tank
The water changing frequency should be 10-15% per week or 20-25% per fortnightly. This is important as it controls the nitrate and phosphate levels in the tank for fish to be healthy.
The food which is supplied to the fish is partially eaten and the other falls to the bottom of the tank and starts decaying. The eaten food is released back into the tank in form of urine and other matter. Both uneaten food and the excreta of fish contribute to the nitrate and phosphate levels in the tank which promote the growth of algae in the tank. The growth of algae results in the reduction of dissolved oxygen in the tank. This all impact the health of the fish. Following things to be considered while changing the water:
- During the change of water, fish are not to be removed from the tank.
- If there is more dirt in the table increase the qty of water to be changed or the frequency of change but don’t change more than 50% of water.
- Stir the gravel or use the gravel stirrer during changing process.
- Use dechlorinated water during the change.
- Don’t clean your filter while changing the water.
- Since this tank is a smaller one so it is advised to change the water frequently.
Pros & cons of a 10 gallon fish tank
- The manageable size and suitable for a beginner who just wants to start fishkeeping.
- Weight is near 110 lbs and can be kept on any sort of furniture which can hold its weight.
- Slightly easy to manage water parameters as compared to 5 gallon tank.
- Maintenance is easy as the tank is smaller.
- Difficult to maintain water quality parameters as compared to big tanks.
Summary “How big is a 10 gallon fish tank”
Let’s summarize what we have understood in this blog “How big is a 10 gallon fish tank”.
- A 10 gallon fish tank is having standard dimensions of 20″ x 10″ x 12″.
- The weight of the empty 10 gallon tank is 10 lbs.
- The weight of the freshwater-filled 10-gallon fish tank is 108.5 lbs.
- The weight of the saltwater-filled 10-gallon fish tank is 110.5 lbs.
- Around around 8 fish of 1’’ size can be easily kept in the tank easily.
We hope now you have got a good understanding of about 10 gallon fish tank. If you want to give suggestions on this blog “How big is a 10 gallon fish tank” please do comment.
FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions
How heavy is a 10 gallon fish tank full?
10 gallon fish tank filled with fresh water weighs 108.5 lbs
10 gallon fish tank filled with salt water weighs 110.5 lbs
10 gallon fish tank dimensions in inches
A 10 gallon fish tank is having standard dimensions of 20″ x 10″ x 12″.
10 gallon fish tank dimensions in feet
A 10 gallon fish tank is having standard dimensions of 1.7′ x 0.8′ x 1′.
10 gallon fish tank dimensions in cms
A 10 gallon fish tank is having standard dimensions of 50.8 x 25.4 x 30.5.
To know about gallons and understand how to convert gallons kindly click here.
To calculate how many gallons is my fish tank kindly click here.
Some more blogs on fish tanks
If you want external knowledge kindly click here.